DISCOVERY CLASS STARSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROJECT UTOPIA PLANITIA SHIPYARDS, MARS
Accommodation: 400 (50 Officers, 350 Enlisted Crew)
Classification: Explorer/Cruiser [Defense, Explorer, Diplomatic]
Funding for Discovery Class Development Project Provided by:
Advanced Starship Design Bureau, United Federation of Planets Defense Council
Development Project Started: 2401
Production Start Date: 2405
Production End Date: Still in Production
Current Status: In Service
Length: 385.43 meters
Width: 316.67 meters
Height: 47.43 meters
Weight: 1,055,000 metric tons
Cargo capacity: 40,254 metric tons
Hull: Heavy ablative hull armor. Duranium-Tritanium composite with micro-fiber reinforced ablative armor over critical compartments.
Number of Decks: 15 Total
Diplomatic Capabilities: Grade 3
Standard Mission Duration: 7 years
Recommended Yard Overhaul: 20 years
Expected Duration: 120 years with refits
2 LF-70 Advanced Linear Warp Drive Units
2 FIG-7 Subatomic Unified Energy Impulse Units
Warp 7.0 Standard Cruising Speed
Warp 9.9 Maximum Cruising Speed
Warp 9.99 Maximum Attainable Speed (48 hours)
16 Type XVI Collimated Phaser Arrays
Compliment: 400 Quantum, 300 Photon, 200 Tricobalt, 100 Transphasic, 50 Frag
1 MK 100 Burst Fire Torpedo Launcher (Photon/Quantum/Transphasic)
6 MK 85 Direct Fire Photon/Quantum/Tricobalt Torpedo Tubes
2 MK 90 Frag Torpedo Launchers
*Note- Frag torpedoes split into ten mini-torpedoes (Photon/Quantum) when within 5,000 km of target(s). This enables multi-targeting of one or multiple targets.
FSQ-8 Primary Shield and Deflector Control System
FSQ-4 Secondary Shield and Deflector Control System
Primary Computer System:
Class XX Bioneural/Isolinear Computer Core/LCARS Version 9.0
Primary Navigation System: RAV/ISHAK Mod 10 Warp Celestial Guidance
8 Work Bee General Utility Craft
4 Shuttlecraft (Various Classes)
8 Shuttlepods (Various Classes)
1 Captains Yacht (Mark 2)
15 Fighter Support Craft (Various Classes)
Pursuant to Starfleet Exploration Directives 902.3 & 914.5, Starfleet Defense Directives 138.6, 141.1 & 154.7, and Federation Security Council General Policy, the following objectives have been established for a Discovery Class Starship:
1. Replace Akira, Steamrunner, and Galaxy class starships as the primary instrument of Federation deep-space defense.
2. Provide a mobile platform for a wide range of ongoing scientific and cultural research projects.
3. Provide autonomous capability for full execution of Federation defensive, cultural, scientific, and explorative policy in deep space or border territory.
4. Serve as a frontline support vehicle during times of war and emergencies.
5. Provide a mobile platform for testing and implementation of mission-specific or new technology of any kind.